Something that has made SCE stand out for years is that we have well known the importance of the role Rapid Shutdown plays in the safety of a solar system.
Rapid Shutdown was first introduced in the United States and Europe and was designed to create a safe condition on a roof with a solar system in the presence of a fire. Rapid Shut Down involves electronics being fitted to every panel, allowing the panels to be shut down individually at panel level. The aim was to create an easy process to de-energize solar system DC conductors. The ability to shut down and de-energize individual panels if needed, significantly increases the safety of the solar system, while also providing other added beneficial features.
- In the case of a fire, Fire fighters can turn off solar panels and continue to fight the fire. Without rapid shutdown and the ability to de-energize the panels, power is still live on roofs and fire fighters cannot proceed. This can be a HUGE safety issue.
- Service men can work safely on the roof with live power shut down.
- Insurance companies will happily insure knowing rapid shutdown is a feature.
- When a dangerous fault is detected SmartSolar will automatically shut down a panel, a string or the entire system
- Individual panel monitoring
- Can detect over voltage
- Can detect arcing
- Monitors panel performance
- Greater overall system generation
- Complete system mapping identifies panel location
- Live site downloads
For more in depth explanations of the processes of Rapid Shutdown, please see below brochures.